Company Apply Now
Payments Architects work onsite with clients and help them achieve their business aims by providing domain, architectural, and delivery expertise. The Payment Architect builds from a Solution Architect base with a particular expertise and experience in the Payments field, either within a financial services organisation, a scheme or scheme infrastructure. The Payments Architects will contribute payments expertise into the development of the client’s Enterprise Architecture or IT strategy, and will often be expected to take ownership for (and sometimes deliver) the architecture that underpins their client’s solutions.
The Payments Architects are trusted individuals that leverage Icon’s brand values and positioning as the leading advisory firm in its field, and the successful candidate will be one who can skilfully bridge the worlds of business and technology and build sustainable relationships with clients based on the quality of their work. Most importantly, you’ll have demonstrated the ability to understand complex payments requirements, to architect, design and estimate solutions to address them, and ensure these are achievable within the client’s environment. The role requires someone with the ability to grasp the big picture and drive it through to delivery. You will have an understanding of governance, experience in system integration, and the ability to frame and deliver a compelling argument. Your career to date will include communicating with business and management stakeholders and providing clarity on complicated domain and technological issues.
Architecturally, the role requires both solution architecture skills, and the ability to apply them in a business and technology context. You’ll understand the formal deliverables and steps that characterize solution architecture in general, but you’ll also have enough domain and technology background to apply those steps in a relevant and outcome-focused way.
- Consulting or Advisory engagements, working directly with clients to support the development of payments strategies, roadmaps and transformation programmes
- Translating business requirements into technical solution designs, which may include contextual, conceptual, logical and physical views of the architecture. Payments Architects should be able to lead or contribute significantly to the overall technical architecture
- Develop solution architectures to meet requirements, both functional and non-functional, using packaged Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) components and bespoke solutions development as appropriate, in projects from £1m upwards in size
- Conducting solution architecture reviews of existing systems or in-flight projects, and communicating the findings of the review back to stakeholders;
- Working within (or implementing/running) a client’s Technical Design Authority, providing guidance to projects and programmes and helping them deliver Payment solutions that conform to company and industry standards and best practices
- Representing Icon professionally in customer engagements, using excellent inter-personal skills to develop and realise further opportunities for the company
- Acting in the capacity of coach or mentor to junior staff, enabling them to develop their payments knowledge and solution architecture skills
Skills & Experience:
- Experience of leading the delivery of specific Capital Markets or Banking Payment solutions, in areas such as Bacs, Faster Payments, SEPA, SWIFT and mobile payments. It is expected that architects will have deep technical knowledge in at least one of these core areas
- A detailed knowledge of the Payments Value Chain
- Able articulate the functional and technical differences between: SWIFT, ACH, GIRO, Bacs, CHIPS and CHAPS
- The ability to communicate efficiently upwards (to business), downwards (to IT teams) and laterally (to peers, vendors, and client side staff) with particular emphasis on presenting IT architectures to a range of stakeholders in the business and technical communities (up to and including CxO level)
- Familiarity with technology concepts, roles, and terminology, and the ability to work closely with application architects and modelers
- The ability to serve as a credible and active participant in architecture groups, steering committees, and forums
- Salary Offered: Competitive Base +20% bonus + benefits
- Travel profile: Candidates should be willing to work at client site (predominantly in Central London) in the interest of meeting with customers and collaborating with colleagues
- Applicants must have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom and will be required to partake in pre-employment background checking
About Icon Solutions:
Icon Solutions is an independent award-winning payment and specialist technology provider serving global financial institutions. From IT strategy, architecture and design, to project delivery and software development, Icon enables institutions to rapidly capitalise on the latest innovative technology and market drivers to reduce costs, boost revenues, and ensure compliance with regulatory and industry standards.
The critical value Icon offers its clients, is the combination of deep subject matter expertise in instant payments, a proven track record in delivering bank critical systems, and a FinTech approach to the use of technology. This is evidenced by longstanding client relationships with some of the most important global financial institutions.