Global Trade Compliance Specialist
Enjoy the experience of building a stronger Export Compliance Program within Dorman Products, a $1B automobile aftermarket supplier. Due to our organic growth and acquisitions, Dorman is looking to elevate our capabilities in the Export arena. This position will oversee all Export operational activity, drive global compliance projects and strengthen the execution of the trade compliance program. The selected candidate will work within the Global Logistics team to support our overseas suppliers, customers and internal customers (Product Teams, Sales, Engineering and Marketing) to enable the continued growth of Dorman in the aftermarket space.
Responsibilities and Duties/Essential Duties
- Coordinate and administer Export processes for daily shipments, including; screening for denied parties, booking and scheduling transportation, preparing export documentation (commercial invoice, packing list, SLI, etc), reviewing sanctioned and embargoed countries, preparing accurate documentation, classifying Export skus, performing periodic audits and maintaining records in compliance with all US Customs regulations.
- Develop and maintain an effective compliance export program. Design, develop, and implement policies, procedures and manuals related to Export compliance with U.S. and foreign export control laws and regulations.
- Ensure that transactions comply with applicable U.S. Export Laws, Government Agency Regulations and internal Dorman Products procedures.
- Interact regularly with and provide operational support on export compliance matters to internal stakeholders, including Product teams, Supply Chain, Shipping and Sales.
- Stay abreast of current and emerging rules and regulations which may affect Dorman Product’s Export controls compliance, in particular with regard to Canada and Mexico.
- Be responsible for researching, analyzing and interpreting U.S. and Foreign government regulations and determining if they affect Dorman export shipments, in particular with regard to potential Dorman Products acquisitions and growth opportunities.
- Prepare and file any required reports, licenses or documents to Bureau of Industry and Security, Office of Foreign Assets Control and other government agencies.
- Develop and deliver presentations, including export general awareness training, program/function specific export training to Dorman Products audiences.
- As required, provide support to Dorman Product’s Import compliance operation by performing audits, reviewing classifications, generating reports and resolving issues.
- Ability to work cross functionally with Dorman Products stakeholders to ensure stable and compliance Export operations while elevating overall Trade Compliance capabilities.
- Strong attention to detail, ensuring that inaccuracies which might drive inefficient export shipments are identified and vetted.
- Ability to develop, follow, manage and enforce processes and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to manage multiple requests for exports, processing while prioritizing and meeting customer shipment deadlines.
- Experience working in an international logistics/transportation/customs brokerage firm and/or working with global customers/partners preferred.
- Knowledge of export processes, including: Restricted Party Screenings, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations.
- Experience with product classification, including: Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS), Schedule B, and Export Control Classification Number (ECCN).
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement advanced export control policies, procedures, and instructions.
- Proficiency in commodity jurisdiction and classification determinations and making determinations regarding applicability of exemptions and exceptions.