First Press Operator
NCL Graphics is a Fort Dearborn Company. Fort Dearborn Company is the leading provider of high-impact decorative labels for high velocity consumer goods marketers. We supply labels to top Fortune 500 companies along with top US retailers. We are committed to Customer Intimacy and providing customers with value, service and the highest quality attainable. We deliver solutions designed to meet customer's needs and exceed their expectations every single day. Headquartered in Elk Grove, Illinois, the company has 17 locations in North America.
Fort Dearborn Company (FDC) is currently undergoing exponential growth. Joining our team can be the stepping stone to a remarkable career in packaging. You will have the opportunity to become part of an organization that is committed to customer intimacy, excellence and industry leadership. We offer challenging and rewarding careers with the opportunity for growth.
We are currently seeking a First Press Operator to join our team in Waukesha, WI! Under the direction of the Press Manager the 1st Press Operator performs a wide variety of duties to set up and operate the presses to print a variety of orders which meet all customer specifications, and provides direction and guidance to the 2nd Press Operators and the Web Roll Tenders. Responsible for overall operation of the press.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Check job ticket to determine proper type and quality of paper to be used. Verify PMS colors and/or process colors to assure conformance with job ticket. Add inks and pre-set fountains. Operate clamp truck and roll hoist to load paper on press and feed through. Adjust roll brake pressure as needed.
- Hang plates, adjust squeeze on plates and blankets. Use packing gauge and remove and adjust packing to achieve proper register. Set up equipment as necessary for folding, scoring, sheeting, and perforating. Produce and approve preliminary make-ready. Assure proper fit, colors, trim, and folds. After final approval, supervise the running of the press as needed to fill in for First Press Operators for vacations, illness, etc.
- Personally, or through the helper, assure quality pulls of production are taken at prescribed intervals. Visually check samples to assure conformance with customer specifications and place proper tags on pulls as appropriate.
- Monitor all press and related operations to assure all operations are running smoothly and to avoid any delays and quality problems. Provide direction and guidance to Web Roll Tender or Second Press Operator. Instruct helper in all areas of press operations.
- Assure compliance with all required safety and environmental rules and regulation in the operation of the press. Confer with preceding or following shift on status of jobs, problems encountered, etc.
- Completes of all necessary records pertaining to the press and jobs run such as roller maintenance, blanket maintenance, and histories, log books, paper usage, etc.
- Maintains press and press area in a clean and orderly condition. Perform maintenance on press to include greasing, oiling, cleaning, periodic maintenance of rollers, etc. Advise Team Leader of need for more extensive repairs.
- Ability to lead and direct helper in achieving quality and production goals. Ability to work independently and as a team. Ability to occasionally lift 30 – 50 pounds, work in unusual positions stand for 8 - 10 hours (11 - 12 hours for 12 hour crews).
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Two to three years of experience as a Press Operator.
- Knowledge of press operations and prior experience with printing presses; with the ability to troubleshoot effectively.
- Knows quality standards.
- Handles pressure well.
- Ability to work from written instructions.
- Consistent work history.
- Detailed oriented and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to obtain and maintain company forklift license.
Fort Dearborn Company offers a weekly paychecks, a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, health, life, disability, 401(k), employee referral, paid holidays, and vacation time.
NOTE: These job descriptions are not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.