Accountant, Financial Services - 3011
Provides financial information to management by preparing, researching or analyzing accounting data. Assists in maintaining accounting records for a large number of funds, assisting and correcting work done by technicians and other city employees, and knowledge of purchasing practices.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Records financial transactions and reconciles assigned accounts on set standards. Maintain both general and special legers of receipts and expenditures.
- Prepares various schedules, summaries, analyses for use in compiling financial reports. Balances assigned accounts.
- Assists in closing funds at fiscal year-end. This involves making all necessary corrections, accruals and entries to bring records from Oklahoma State Statute required cash accounting to GAAP and GASB standards of accrual accounting in accordance with GASB 34.
- Work with assigned external auditors for City. Assist in preparing trial balances and statements. Provide information and assistance to ensure a successful audit.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual City budget. Compile expenditure sections under direction of supervisor.
- Edit the preliminary budget as approved by the City Council and directed by supervisor.
- Compose and edit a variety of correspondence and reports for supervisor, Finance Director, City Manager and the City Council.
- Assists in investing funds for the City and general employee retirement system.
- Prepares reports for Financial Services Supervisor, Finance Director, City Manager and City Council. These reports could also include mandatory information required by the IRS, Social Security Administration and the annual census reports. Compiles and compares information.
- Handles customer inquiries and problems related to accounts.
- Maintains financial security by following internal accounting controls.
- Have a general knowledge of purchasing procedures and rules.
- Knowledge of advanced accounting and auditing procedures and practices.
- Working knowledge of computers and electronic data processing.
- Knowledge of manual and automated financial systems
- Knowledge of governmental accounting principles and practices and GASB (Governmental Accounting Standards Board)
- Knowledge of financial reporting in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain successful working relationships.
- Ability to work under pressure and/or frequent interruptions.
- Ability to prepare accurate and complex financial reports and statementsAbility to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgment
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting records and financial statements.
- Skill in designing and maintaining complex spreadsheets and databases.
- Two or more years of responsible municipal accounting experience are necessary to be able to perform this position.
- Must be bondable (No criminal or civil record such as bankruptcy that prevent bonding).
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or a closely related field;
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate valid Oklahoma Driver's License.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to operate, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Sufficient manual dexterity to operate a typewriter, computer keyboard, and calculator.
- Frequent hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate various pieces of office equipment, often requiring repetitive hand-arm coordination and movements.
- Frequently use manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard
- Continuously, required to talk or hear; and sit;
- Frequently required to stand or walk;
- Continuously see details at a distance, up close and peripherally, including using depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus, use close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
Return all completed application material to :Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501