PCS - Counselor
Company Apply Now
The general function of the program:
PCS-HOPE or DISCOVER: To provide an alternative therapeutic care for children between the ages of 5-18 with moderate to severe emotional and/or behavioral problems
PCS-ACT: To provide an alternative treatment plan for SPMI and Dually Diagnosed adults.
The primary purpose of this position:
To facilitate individual, group, and/or family counseling for consumers in accordance with his/her individual service plan.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and lead treatment groups. Serve as a staff advisor during community meetings. Provide emotional support to clients and other staff members.
- Structure and supervise all recreational and community activities. Serve as a positive role model for clients. Interact with clients in a purposeful, therapeutic manner and in accordance with specified Individual Service Plans.
- Function as primary Case Manager for assigned clients by developing and implementing an Individual Service Plan with other appropriate agencies on an on-going basis. Organizes, prepares and (co)facilitate individual and group activities in accordance with the consumer’s individual service plan.
- Record clear and comprehensive documentation of periodic treatment care plans, weekly progress notes and other documentation as needed. Develop, implement system for monitoring of clients’ progress.
- Organize, supervise and assist clients in developing community skills during community outings.
- Provide crisis intervention and follow-up services as needed.
- Consult and coordinate on with appropriate agencies, place of residence, schools, family support, etc. for each client treatment plan.
- Attend and participate in supervision, staff meetings, in-service training as scheduled by the PCS-Supervisor/Director, PCS.
- To monitor discharge and aftercare follow-up of assigned clients.
- Assist in the intake process and orientation of assigned clients.
- Will assist with transportation of consumers as needed, and maintain a safe environment on care on the bus/van. Maintain discipline on the vehicle. Must acknowledge receipt and adhere to all policies and procedures including but not limited to Transportation Policies and the Pick Up and Delivery Standards Policy.
- To organize and prepare information/ materials for individual, group and family psycho-educational groups in accordance with the client’s individual service plan.
- Perform other duties as may from time to time be deemed appropriate by the Supervisor and/ or Director, PCS and as required for provision of program services.
- Maintains established division policies & procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental, and infection control standards.
- Guards the confidentiality of client information from both outside persons and Archway Programs employees whom do not require this information to perform their job functions.
- Customer Service: respect, flexibility, knowledge, confidence, professionalism, pleasant attitude, patience, and helpfulness. All responses should be timely, professional, caring, and respectful in accordance with Archway Programs standards
- Provide culturally sensitive services that are based on knowledge of cultural diversity to accomplish quality client care.
Minimum educational requirements:
- bachelor’s degree
- associates degrees-ACT only
Minimum experience required:
- 1 year – CYS only
- other – 2 years with assoc. degree
Other knowledge, skills, and certifications required:
- Knowledge of the program and agency’s purpose, policies, standards and procedures involved in the psychiatric care of individuals after a period of training.
- Ability to establish and maintain a supportive, positive anxiety-reducing relationship with individuals.
- Ability to communicate in an effective manner with individuals, medical and nursing staff, psychiatric team and individuals’ families.
- Ability to understand, identify and inform the psychiatric treatment team, individuals who exhibit psychopathological behavior.
- Ability to work as a member of a team in a manner which ensures that care given to individuals is in accord with the attending psychiatrists’ instructions.
- Assisting in transportation of consumers as needed
- Must consent to an initial and annual criminal background check. The following will preclude a driver or attendant from providing services under this Agreement: (1) conviction for driving while intoxicated or under the influence of a controlled substance within the previous three (3) years; (2) plea of guilty or nolo contendere or conviction for any felony that is sexual in nature or involves a child, the elderly, domestic abuse, drugs, weapons or violence in the previous seven (7) years.
- Must never be impaired by alcohol, illegal drugs or drugs that impair your ability to perform your job in a safe manner.
- Knowledge of basic medications administered and side effects after training.
- Ability to keep essential records and observe, identify individuals’ unusual behavior and record or communicate these observations.
- Ability to establish and maintain a supportive, positive therapeutic relationship with individuals.
- Ability to understand and identify the symptoms of common consumer’s diagnoses.
- Ability to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the organization.
- Ability to be trained, maintain certification and perform CPI, Therapeutic Hold and CPR/FA.
- Assist in transportation of consumers as needed.
- Appointees will be required to possess a valid driver’s license only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Ability to sufficiently perform the duties of this position.
- Demonstrates professionalism at all times. Display empathy and positive regard for others in written, verbal and non-verbal communications. Work effectively with team of colleagues and consumers by practicing punctuality, respect for deadlines, collaborative problem solving, and honest communication. Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, maturity and responsibility, even in the face of stress or demanding workplace conditions.
- Must complete and pass required training within 45 days of hire.
- Ability to sufficiently perform the duties of this position.
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age and have a current valid driver’s license to operate the transportation vehicle to which you are assigned.
- Motor vehicle record must be clear in accordance with Archway Programs insurance carrier guidelines.
The number of employees supervised by this position:
The usual internal and external contacts:
- Internal – Archway personnel, consumers and staff.
- External –community agencies, referral sources, parents, caregivers, consumer advocates/guardians (where appropriate), and the public.
The working conditions (heat, cold, dust, fumes, etc.) that apply to this position are:
Partial Care Setting and bus/van setting
Any safety conditions or hazards associated with this position:
Usual conditions associated with working in a SED child & youth, or SPMI ad
To learn about additional job opportunities, please go to:
Check out all of our programs on the web at www.archwayprograms.org