Assistant Budget Manager
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), a six-time National Recreation and Parks Association Gold Medal Award Winner, is seeking an Assistant Budget Manager to work within Montgomery Parks. The Department serves a diverse population of more than one million residents in Montgomery County, Maryland, and manages 421 parks on more than 37,000 acres of parkland. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $100 million, a six-year Capital Improvement Program of over $220 million, and a career staff of nearly 800 employees.
The ideal candidate will serve as the liaison between the Department's budget manager and twelve divisions to analyze, prepare and allocate annual operating budgets; assist in the forecast, analysis, review and preparation of timely and accurate monthly reports; assist in year-end activities; prepare detailed budget charts, tables, and spreadsheets for a variety of budgetary analysis; initiate and monitor procurement and contracts; assist in providing financial guidance to divisional budget staff and management; and lead special projects, as needed, that include research and department-wide coordination with various stakeholders.
Examples of Important Duties:
- Acts as department-wide liaison for budget and financial tracking.
- Assists in examining a variety of budgets and financial statements for completeness, accuracy and conformity.
- Prepares and assembles financial and statistical data and basic reports for use in budget evaluation.
- Provides trainings to staff in processes for budget preparation, expenditure tracking, quarterly projection procedures, and other financial analysis.
- Reviews department-wide budget submissions regarding form, content, accuracy, completeness and compliance with guidelines.
- Analyzes and reconciles proposed expenditures with estimated revenues.
- Collects and consolidates budget data in MS Excel and Word.
- Utilizes commission-wide Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system for budget, financial and procurement tracking.
- Prepares the adopted budget for distribution.
- Coordinates and implements the procurement of divisional and departmental goods and services. Prepares, evaluates, monitors, and tracks divisional and departmental contracts.
- Reviews department procedures and administrative processes for possible simplification, automation or abolishment.
- Conducts departmental studies for projects and submits reports.
- Runs financial reports; collects current data, analyzes and evaluates statistical recommendations.
- Researches and gathers data from various sources to prepare ad hoc reports.
- Assists in providing technical advice and assistance to support staff as needed in the preparation of budgets or procurements.
- Updates manual and automated files and record keeping systems and ensures accuracy of data.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate budgetary and other management data.
- Prepares concise and comprehensive reports.
- Communicates effectively, orally and in writing, with employees, officials and the public.
- Understands and applies budget and procurement rules, regulations, and procedures to ensure compliance.
B.S. in Finance or Accounting is preferred.
Knowledge in varying budget methodologies, such as zero-based, outcome-based or program-based budgeting is preferred.
1. Bachelor's Degree in Human Resource Management, Finance, Business or any related field.
2. Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in Human Resource Management,
finance or any related field.
3. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together total 8 years.