Supportive Skills Life Counselor
Company Apply Now
The general function of the program: To service developmentally disabled consumers in the community.
The primary purpose of this position: To assist developmentally disabled consumers living independently or semi- independently in the community in all areas of daily living.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Maintains established division policies & procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental, and infection control standards.
- Guards the confidentiality of client information from both outside persons and Archway Programs employees whom do not require this information to perform their job functions.
- Provide culturally sensitive services that are based on knowledge of cultural diversity to accomplish quality client care.
- Customer Service: respect, flexibility, knowledge, confidence, professionalism, pleasant attitude, patience, and helpfulness. All responses should be timely, professional, caring, and respectful in accordance with Archway Programs standards.
- Cooperate fully with Archway Programs and Division of Developmental Disabilities staff in any and all inspections and/ or investigations.
Examples of Work:
Note: The examples of work listed below are for illustrative purposes only. The Life Skills Counselor may not perform all duties listed. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
- Serves as a liaison with other staff, consumers, other agencies, and community in general
- Assist in the planning and implements Individual Habilitation plans through annual meetings and daily follow through
- Keep close watch over the care and safety of all consumers, advise and take action when necessary without infringing upon consumer rights
- Assists consumers in any / all areas where requested
- Actively promotes consumer independence and choice
- Completes monthly reports, routine visit and other paperwork as assigned
- Performs any and all other assigned duties
Minimum educational requirements:
- high school diploma or GED required
- business or technical training
- associates degree-preferred
- bachelor’s degree-preferred
Minimum experience required:
- one year
- 1 - 3 years- preferred
Other knowledge, skills, and certifications required:
- Appointees will be required to possess a valid driver’s license only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
- Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
- CPR/ FA
- DDD Pre-service within 90 days of hire
- General knowledge of social work, social work system.
- Any and all other trainings/in-services as assigned by Archway Programs.
The number of employees supervised by this position:
The usual internal and external contacts:
- Internal –All supportive living staff, consumers, program coordinator and director, administrative staff
- External – Other human service and social service agencies, the community in general
The percent of time spent on physical activity while performing the job functions:
a) Sitting 25 %
b) Standing 25 %
c) Other – (moving, bending) 50 %
Total 100 %
The percent of time spent on physical effort while performing the job functions:
a) Lifting 20 %
b) Carrying 20 %
c) Pushing / Pulling 20 %
d) Other 40 %
Total 100 %
The percent of time spent on sensory effort while performing the job functions:
a) Visual 25 %
b) Hearing 25 %
c) Speaking 25 %
d) Touching 25 %
Total 100 %
The percent of travel involved with the position:
Life skills counselors travel to consumer’s homes, throughout consumer’s community and to other locations as necessary in an effort to provide consumers with assistance as needed.
Machines or equipment used:
(*) Typewriter (*) telephone
(*) Computer (*) photocopier
(*) Fax (*) other – dependent on consumer needs- may involve special adaptive equipment, normal household appliances
The working conditions (heat, cold, dust, fumes, etc.) that apply to this position are: Normal office, community, and household environments.
Any safety conditions or hazards associated with this position: Normal household, public and office hazards, driving hazards, consumers may become verbally or physically abusive during home visits
To learn about additional job opportunities, please go to:
Check out all of our programs on the web at www.archwayprograms.org