Human Resources / Training Support Specialist
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), a six-time National Recreational and Parks Association Gold Medal Award Winner, is seeking a Human Resources/Training Support Specialist to work at the Montgomery County Department of Parks in Silver Spring, Maryland. We have a career staff complement of nearly 800 employees, and we serve a diverse population of more than one million residents. We manage 421 parks on nearly 37,000 acres of parkland and we are fiscally sound with an annual operating budget of over $100 million, and a six-year Capital Improvement Program of over $240 million.
We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic and highly motivated Human Resources/Training Professional to work in the Management Services Division of the Montgomery County Department of Parks. The successful candidate will report directly to the Human Resources Manager and must demonstrate excellent customer service, time management and strong administrative skills. The ideal candidate can consistently deliver results in a timely and professional manner and is highly skilled at collaborating and communicating with internal and external stakeholders.
Under direction, performs a broad range of analytical and administrative assignments for the department. Primary duties and responsibilities of the position are the development and implementation of policies, procedures and programs in Human Resources, Recruitment and Hiring, and Training, or other related areas of administrative management. Conducts the full range of research and analysis related to department or Commission programs or functions and independently identifies and recommends the need for updated, revised, enhanced or new standards, procedures, processes or programs. Recommends process improvements and initiates requests for, and coordinates, input from staff while developing new policies and procedures for approval. As an individual contributor, work results in completed assignments that are timely and have a direct impact on administrative management matters of the division. Applies knowledge of the assigned work functions, working knowledge of key aspects of related fields in Human Resources Management in general and knowledge of the organization to ensure work products and services are effective. Work is highly confidential in nature and requires a great degree of sensitivity. Performs other duties as assigned.
Examples of Important Duties:
Human Resources/Recruitment –
- Leads recruitment activities such as developing employee selection criteria in coordination with work program managers, compose recruitment advertisements, process job requisitions, and coordinate the interview and selection process to fill all divisional and/or department-wide vacancies, as directed by the Human Resources Manager.
- Assists hiring managers with the hiring process, interview questions and salary exception requests ensuring all steps are taken in accordance with hiring guidelines and requirements, all required documentation is completed and submitted as needed, and conducting compensation analyses to recommend appropriate salary.
- Researches, develops and implements effective recruitment and job advertisement campaigns and strategies including, but not limited to, through Social Media, online job boards, specialized occupational professional websites, in-person events, and collaborative relationships with colleges, universities and other sources of qualified candidates with an emphasis on Community Outreach and Social Equity.
- Collaborates with the Department Coordinator on the Conservation Justice Corp Summer Youth Program, the Summer R.I.S.E. program, the Project Search program, and other community-based programs to promote community outreach, youth development, and the inclusion of differently abled individuals in our workforce.
- Assists in preparing, reviewing and routing for approval all necessary Personnel Actions, tuition assistance requests, and computer security access requests accurately and in a timely manner and in compliance with M-NCPPC policies and procedures. Develop and maintain secure digital archives for identified categories of documents.
- Develops, implements and maintains a Department Position Vacancy database system with appropriate user interface for Divisional input. Coordinate with Department IT personnel to ensure access by all Divisions. Develop effective strategies to implement system throughout the Department including training and analysis protocols.
- As part of the HR Team, acts as a source of information regarding Commission and Department Human Resources policies and procedures including Kronos payroll, Commission data systems, Merit Rules and Regulations, Collective Bargaining Agreements, Classification and Compensation protocols, Benefits, Recruitment and Selection, Conflict Resolution and documentation controls.
- Stays informed of developments in the functional areas of HR Management, Recruiting and Training, and of changes in guidelines, regulations and benchmarks. Conducts research and analysis to identify, prepare and inform others of emerging issues in these areas.
- In collaboration with the MSD Training and Development Manager, researches current and future training needs throughout the Parks Department, the appropriate training strategy and delivery, and associated costs. Develops and presents a yearly Training Plan as a roadmap to success in meeting the training needs of the department and the divisions. Coordinates with Parks Divisions regarding their individual training plans and incorporates this information into the Department Plan.
- Researches, designs and delivers training and development programs and presentations in a manner that a varied group of individuals will understand and learning will occur. Prepare and create audio visual materials, manuals, handbooks, job aids, and other training materials as needed
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with local, national and digital training resources and utilizes that source of information to assist in leading training and development efforts.
- Designs and prepares various PowerPoint presentations, updates and manages training calendar entries, website updates, training presentations and SharePoint pages.
- Develops marketing materials and promotional flyers/emails regarding training and development programs and learning opportunities.
- Creates and helps implement a Department-wide onboarding program for new employees and supervisors.
- Assists in monitoring the training and development budget, consultant performance, analyzing feedback surveys, and providing training metrics reports based on statistical data.
- Assists in conducting training needs assessments and responding to training requests identified by Managers.
- Performs administrative tasks such as maintaining training database, scheduling classes, setting up equipment, coordinating enrollment, and other duties as assigned.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Collaborative with a strong work ethic; having strategic awareness and a sense of vision, a cooperative spirit, excellent communication, creative thinking and interpersonal skills.
- Communicates and interacts effectively with business contacts. Establishes and maintains working relationships, including teamwork, with internal and external contacts. Actively listens to understand key information, including concerns, wants and needs of stakeholders. Proven ability to approach and interact with people of all backgrounds and the ability to think collaboratively with senior members of the organization.
- Knowledge of, and skill in applying, the principles, methods, techniques and practices of HR Management, Recruitment, and Training and Development. Knowledge of County, State and Federal Labor Laws and other employment provisions.
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design; measurement of training objectives and the principles of adult learning; and current training trends and resources.
- Experience and creativity with various training methods, including on-the-job coaching, mentorship programs and e-learning. Experience with different projects such as management training and soft-skills development.
- Proven workload management and analytical data skills and ability. Good working knowledge of core principles and practices of administrative management in general.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure on multiple projects, meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints, creatively problem solve by selecting, organizing and logically processing relevant information to resolve a problem.
- Superb written, verbal, organizational and interpersonal skills. Uses a computer and modern office software (MS Office), enterprise software and specialized software for planning, scheduling, communicating (email), word processing, collecting and reporting data (Access Database), preparing presentations, researching (Internet), and performing other computer functions.
- PHR (Professional in Human Resources) certification or related current certification.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or Communications and 6 years of related experience in Human Resources, Recruitment and Hiring, or Training in a large organization.
- Must possess a valid Driver's License and qualify to drive Commission vehicles to locations within Montgomery County.
- Ability to communicate in another language a plus.
Work is performed in an office setting. May work outdoors on an incidental basis. May be subject to various job demands such as high volume of work and tight deadlines.
1. Bachelor's Degree in Human Resource Management, Finance, Business or any related field.
2. Two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in human resource management,
finance or any other related field of business administration.
3. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together total 6 years.