Administrative Assistant I, RSVP
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The fundamental purpose of this position is to perform routine clerical and administrative work in answering phones, receiving the public, providing citizen assistance, data processing, and bookkeeping for the RSVP Program.
This position is a part-time position that will be scheduled for approximately 20 hours per week.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Makes postings to various departmental, fiscal or other records according to standard procedures, such as records and files volunteer hours. Prepares reports involving tabulations of posted data and make arithmetical calculations.
- Responsible for posting volunteer hours and keeping record of volunteers and related information.
- Sorts and files material alphabetically, chronologically, and by other pre-determined categories; looks up information and materials in files and records information. Communicates to volunteers and coordinates them to volunteer assignments.
- Operates personal computer and other standard office equipment
- Contacts agencies that are potential RSVP stations that utilize senior volunteers. Works closely with volunteers.
To perform this job satisfactorily, the individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduate from a high school or GED equivalent with specialized course work in general office practices such as typing, filing, and bookkeeping and two years of increasingly responsible experience; or any equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Skill in the operation of the following tools and equipment: telephone, personal computer, spreadsheet and database software; copy machine, fax machine; 10 key calculator.
- Working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures, bookkeeping principles and practices; Business English, spelling and arithmetic.
- Ability to communicate and work well with Senior Citizens.
- Ability to understand and follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Applicant must have valid typing and spelling scores (less than year old) administered through Lawton Workforce Center, located at 1711 SW 11th St, Lawton, OK 73501. Tests are conducted Monday and Friday only between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM. You must call and schedule your test by calling (580) 357-3500.
Typing score MUST be submitted with application. Application will not be accepted without typing test attached.
- This position is funded, in part, by a CNCS Grant and therefore the chosen candidate must agree to a National Service Criminal History check that will include:
- National Sex Offender inquiry
- Check conducted by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
- Check conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Other background checks as deemed necessary
- The background checks listed are in addition to the City of Lawton required background check and drug and/or alcohol testing.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS OF THE POSITION:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee works in an office environment that is normally quiet.
The personal contacts are typically with employees of different departments, external agencies, and the general public. The purpose of the contacts is to answer questions requiring explanation or limited interpretation of standard procedures. May involve some hostility.
NOTE: The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
- If you submit your application via email and you DO NOT receive a confirmation message within forty-eight (48) hours, please call (580) 581-3392 to verify we received your application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :
Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.
Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501