Safety Manager - PNG
Papua New Guinea is one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world. It is also one of the most rural, as only 18 per cent of its people live in urban centres and the rest live in very remote areas with no option of transport being available due to the tough terrain. To ensure the safety of our operations in PNG we are seeking a person who will be responsible for implementing and running the Safety Management System in our PNG (Mt Hagen) operations.
This is a great opportunity to work with the Regional Safety Managers and support them in implementing global safety standards in the programme.
The Safety Manager will ensure that all safety standards are met and followed by the PNG programme by:
Supporting and implementing the global safety initiatives - You will be working and supporting the Regional Safety Managers to develop and improve the safety management system. You will also be guiding the PNG team in seeking out and eliminating potential hazards and threats as well as promoting a safe environment.
Supporting the Safety Management System - You will be monitoring and analysing safety trends and actively working to address any identified issues. One of the key requirements of the job is to provide reports to the Country Director of PNG and the Regional Safety and Quality Managers on safety issues.
Promoting and improving the overall safety culture - Maintaining a good working relationship with all stakeholders and staff is required. You will be required to provide safety training to all staff and other organisations as agreed. You are also required to organise and facilitate conferences pertaining to safety and ensure that audits are carried out in the programme according to the safety standards.
Please click on the link for the full job profile: Safety Manager - PNG Job Profile
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Excellent communication and being able to communicate clearly across both geographical and cultural boundaries
- Further education or equivalent experience
- Competent to develop and produce reports and recommendations to senior management
- Experience of working in aviation (past experience in or has a commercial pilot licence, flight instructor, and/or aircraft maintenance engineer roles)
- Critical event interviewing skills
- Personal experience of working in a developing country
- Health and Safety certificate (e.g. IOSH, NEBOSH)
- Hold or have held an ICAO Commercial Pilots Licence (CPL)
- Hold or have held an ICAO Aviation Maintenance Engineer Licence (AME) without type rating
- Training and Development course
- Accident Investigation Course
There is an occupational requirement for overseas staff to be committed Christians, sent and supported by their home Church, and able to support and promote the Christian ethos and beliefs of MAF as a mission organisation through taking part in Christian activities such as Church events, prayer meetings etc. All roles (unless otherwise specified) require some personal support raising to be carried out under the guidance and training of MAF UK.