Administrative Assistant I, Finance - 3128
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Performs routine clerical and administrative work in answering phones, receiving the public, providing citizen assistance, and data processing.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Performs research when requested utilizing the City accounting systems to answer questions from departments, citizens and other team members.
- Type correspondence, memorandums, tabular material using format provided by supervisor; files information.
- Receives the public and answers questions; responds to inquiries from employees, citizens and others, and refers, when necessary, to appropriate person.
- Reviews incoming invoices for payment to insure accuracy of purchases; pairs invoices with PO’s for payment.
- Receives, stamps and distributes incoming mail, processes outgoing mail.
Working knowledge of modern office practices and procedures, some knowledge of bookkeeping principles and practices, knowledge of business English, spelling and basic mathematics.
Ability and willingness to help any other employee in the division in times of absences or heavy work loads.
To perform this job satisfactorily, the individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Graduation from a high school or GED equivalent with specialized course work in general office practices such as typing, filing and bookkeeping and two years of increasingly responsible experience; or any equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Skill in the operation of the following tools and equipment: telephone, personal computer including word processing, spreadsheet and database software; copy machine, fax machine; 10 key calculator.
- Ability to effectively meet and deal with the public; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; ability to handle stressful situations; ability to recognize tools, equipment and other material used in the assigned division; ability to make arithmetic calculations and tabulations rapidly and accurately; ability to write legibly; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public; ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions; ability to work independently.
Works in the office of Financial Services Division of the Finance Department.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS ON THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
ESSENTIAL ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
The personal contacts are typically with employees of different departments, external agencies, and the general public. The purpose of the contacts is to answer questions requiring explanation or limited interpretation of standard procedures.
GUIDANCE AND SUPERVISION RECEIVED:
The employee is supervised by the Contracts & Payables Supervisor or higher level clerical employee who provides continuing or individual assignments by indicating generally what is to be done, limitations, quality and quantity expected, deadlines and priority of assignments. The supervisor gives additional, specific instructions for new, difficult or unusual assignments. The employee uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments independently without specific instructions. The supervisor assures that the work is technically accurate and in compliance with instructions or established procedures.
NOTE: The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Option 1: Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader Installed on your device to submit the application online. Download or complete the attached application.
- If you submit your application via email and you DO NOT receive a confirmation message within forty-eight (48) hours, please call (580) 581-3392 to verify we received your application.
Option 2: By Mail
Return all completed application material to :
Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501
Application material must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date (postmark alone is insufficient). The closing date is listed on the job announcement or the application material.
Option 3: In Person
The Human Resources Department is located on the 2nd Floor inside City Hall.
Human Resources Department
212 SW 9th St
Lawton, OK 73501