Water Plant Operator, SEWTP - 3152
Operate the Water Treatment Plant on an assigned shift.
Essential Functions of the Position:
- Regularly involves responsibility for the entire operation of the water treatment plant on an assigned shift. These responsibilities include inspection of equipment such as pumps, valves, chemical feed systems, air compressors, filters, transmitting and recording instruments, controlling systems and all other appurtenances at a water treatment plant.
- Regularly responsible for ensuring that the plant is in full compliance with all state and federal requirements.
- Regularly responsible for laboratory analysis of water entering and leaving the plant on their assigned shift.
- Regularly required to analyze, record results, and exercise judgment in making adjustments of machinery, equipment and related control systems in accordance with established operating procedures and standards.
- Regularly clean and maintain the water treatment plant and its related facilities.
- Regularly receive and unload all chemicals and supplies.
- Assists in the training of new plant operators.
- Operates storage gates on Ellsworth and Lawtonka.
- Cleans the intake structure of trash.
- Assists in grounds keeping jobs such as mowing, weed eating and trash pickup.
- Assists in cleaning of basins and tanks with fire hoses.
- Assists mechanics in minor maintenance activities as needed.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from a standard high school or possession of a G.E.D.
- Experience in the operation of electrical and mechanical equipment similar to that used in a water treatment plant.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the general operating principles of electrical and mechanical equipment similar to the type used in a water treatment plant.
- Knowledge of the safe practices and procedures for handling and using all laboratory reagents and chemicals associated with a water treatment plant.
- Ability to understand and accurately follow operating and recording procedures.
- Ability to detect faulty operating characteristics in equipment and possess the ability to institute remedial action.
- Ability to write legibly and understand written and oral instructions.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers. Able to read and perform mathematical calculations at a 12th grade level.
- Ability to work and complete task unsupervised or with limited supervision.
- Possession of a valid Oklahoma driver’s license.
- Possession of or the ability to obtain a class “D” Water certification and a Class “C” Water Lab certification from the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality within one year of date of hire.
- Physically and medically capable of working using a positive pressure self contained breathing apparatus or respirator.
This position is primarily assigned to the Southeast Water Treatment Plant.
This position is a “safety sensitive” position as defined by the US DOT drug and alcohol testing regulations, the Oklahoma Standards for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Act and/or Oklahoma Medical Marijuana laws. As a “safety sensitive” employee, you will be subject to drug and alcohol testing, including random testing. Marijuana is one of the substances included in the drug panel screening. Possession of a medical marijuana license will not excuse you from the testing process, or the consequences of testing positive for marijuana.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
HOW TO APPLY ?
Online - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have Adobe Reader installed on your device to submit the application online. If you do not have Adobe Reader, you may download the application, complete the application in its entirety and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The City of Lawton does not accept handwritten or hard copies of applications, they must be submitted online.
Application: 3152 Water Plant Operator, SEWTP.pdf