Senior Mechanical Design Lead
Company Apply Now
Mechanical design and engineering of material handling, machine tending, and custom automation lines including special machines and tooling for the automotive, aerospace, and general industries. An AMT Mechanical Designer/ Leader is responsible for the conceptual design and detail of unique automation systems with special attention to robotic based cells both individually or leading a team of designers.
Regular responsibilities include:
- Automation cell and machine/tool design including concept, design, detail, layout, and full checking
- Demonstrate strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Work closely with the project team and the customer to design the automation to meet the mutually agreed upon specifications while maintaining schedules and profitability. This includes providing necessary internal support for the assembly team and programmers.
- Facilities layout with 2D and 3D CAD modeling of automation systems
- May include some project management duties as appropriate
- Participate in internal and customer design review meetings
- Organizing and maintaining CAD files
- Use of customer standards
- Travel to customer site as needed (minimal)
- Meet deadlines without compromising the integrity of the project or safety.
- Maintaining a professional and positive relationship with customers and suppliers.
- Participate in formal and informal design review meetings between electrical engineering, programmers and the assembly team, as required.
- 15 years or more experience in industrial automation design
- Knowledge and use of industry engineering standards for construction and clarification of assembly drawings
- Knowledge and use of industry standards for safety and ergonomics
- Experience in special machine design
- Experience with conveyor systems and product palletizing is a plus.
- Proficient in the use of SolidWorks and AutoCAD
- Proficient with common MS Office software
- Experience conducting fieldwork/field check at customer sites
- Ability to direct mechanical designers, on-site, off-site, to complete project-related tasks
Other suggested skills:
- Expertise in other CAD software such as Inventor, Unigraphics and Catia
- Expertise in Pneumatics design
- Expertise in conducting risk assessments, PFMEAS
- FEA expertise in CAD FEA
Excellent benefits and working environment