Administrative Assistant I, Library
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Provides customer service directly and indirectly to support the operations of the library. Positions may be designated to specific areas of the library including Circulation, Reference, Technical Services, Youth Services, or Family History. Flexible schedule (Saturday, evening and day shifts) is necessary.
This position is a Part-Time position and will be scheduled for approximately 20 hours per week.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
- Performs circulation duties including checking in and out library material, issuing new library cards, and collecting fees.
- Shelves and shifts library material.
- Answers phone, in-person, and electronic questions. Directs customers to resources as appropriate.
- Notifies individuals when materials are available.
- Assists with public displays such as bulletin boards and book displays.
- Assists with Library outreach.
- Answers simple information questions (e.g. directs patrons to various library areas, answers inquiries on groups holding meetings, etc.).
- Assists with library events.
- Performs opening and closing procedures as assigned.
- Assists with stamping, typing, labeling, books and materials as assigned.
ALL STAFF DUTIES:
- Maintains a professional demeanor exercising tact, diplomacy, and courtesy at all times as well as observing customer confidentiality.
- Provides positive customer service at all times.
- Communicates work progress, work problems, and library related issues with co-workers, supervisors, and all staff as appropriate.
- Carries out current policies, procedures, and directives.
- Works with other members of the staff in a cooperative manner.
- Follows established channels of communication.
- Follows directions and works without close supervision.
- Maintains a flexible schedule as needed and provides back-up coverage when required.
- Attends mandatory all-staff meetings.
- Seeks out educational opportunities and attends training as approved.
- Supports and promotes all library collections, events, activities, and services within the library system while at work.
- Recognizes that positive organizational change is essential to a healthy library system.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of customer service, quality and team concepts.
- Knowledge of City and department policies and procedures sufficient to be able to determine routine actions necessary.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling punctuation and sentence structure sufficient to be able to compose and/or edit correspondence or reports.
- Knowledge of mathematics sufficient to be able to perform a variety of calculations
- Ability to operate microcomputers, related equipment and various microcomputer software in a Windows networking environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use good interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relations with other employees, organizations and the public.
- Skill in Microsoft Office Word and Excel
- Skill in facilitating highly confidential matters related to the department or City policy
- Skill in exercising initiative, judgment and decisions making in meeting organizational objectives
- Skill in maintaining and organizing files that allows information to be retrieved quickly.
- Skill in operating a telephone system and screening calls.
- Skill in independently adapting, interpreting and applying written guidelines.
- Skill in establishing priorities, coordinating work activities and performing numerous projects at various stages of completion.
Experience and Training Guidelines
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- One (1) year or more of progressively responsible support staff experience
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Additional training from technical school or college preferred.
- Type at 40 WPM (net) or greater preferred
License or Certification:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate valid Oklahoma Driver's License.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment (typewriter, computer, adding machine, copier, fax machine, cash register, telephone).
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
This job position is performed at the Lawton Public Library.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS ON THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequent hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate various pieces of office equipment, often requiring repetitive hand-arm coordination and movements.
- Frequently use manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard.
- Frequently sits, remaining in the normal seated position
- Frequently talk and listen, express or exchange ideas and perceive the nature of sounds by the ear.
- Frequently required to stand or walk;
- Frequently see details at a distance, up close and peripherally, including using depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus, use close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Occasionally lift or carry objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally work with arms above shoulder level
- Occasionally bend and stoop repeatedly or continually over time
ESSENTIAL ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee normally works in an office where the environment is frequently quiet.
- Office work environment is characterized by frequent interruptions.
The personal contacts are typically with employees of different departments, external agencies, or with the general public. The purpose of the contacts is to plan and coordinate work efforts; provide input and advice, and resolve problems by influencing and motivating. The persons contacted typically have mutual goals and basically cooperative attitudes.
The employee reports to supervisor as assigned.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Online Only via Email - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have the latest version of Adobe Reader Installed on your device to complete the application.
- Once you complete the application, make sure you SAVE the application to your computer before you email it to email@example.com.
- If you do not SAVE the application first it will be delivered as a blank form.
- We are only accepting digital applications at this time.