Fiscal Technician, Financial Services - 3184
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Performs a range of book-keeping functions to include banking utilization, direct ledger entry, balancing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and charge back of expenses. The employee in this position assumes a leadership role for other clerks and secretaries within the City and spends time daily explaining regulations and assisting other divisional employees.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
- Maintains and researches accounts payable and purchasing entries, questions, and enter payments into the accounting system.
- Must possess effective oral and written communication skills and be able to compose and edit a variety of correspondence and reports requiring judgment as to content and accuracy.
- Assists Accountants with accounting for block grant expenditures and revenues. Disburses HUD payments to Housing and Community Development personnel. Receives HUD funds and prepared deposits for processing.
- Daily balances posted entries makes any corrections necessary, Prepares purchase orders for the claim list by assembling the purchase order, assigning numbers and entering into the computer. Monitor program for duplication of payments and vendors. Assists in filing of the purchase orders after payment.
- Assists in posting departmental charges such as worker's compensation, fuel usage, utility billings, preparing transfer forms between funds. Prorates expenses to be debited or credited to each division for cost accounting records.
- Monitors capital outlay expenditures. Reviews list from budget. Checks purchase orders for compliance with costs, account numbers and timing in conformance with a quarterly purchase schedule.
- Reviews requisitions from all departments for correctness of amounts, accounts, invoices, and proper documentation. Assigns vendor numbers for new vendors to the system. Authorize 1099 that goes to vendors at year-end.
- Maintains vendor master files. Updates, corrects, adds, and deletes vendors as needed.
- Prepares computer input forms, enters data into computer files,
- Balances, prepares, reconciles and mails the 1099’M and 1099S at calendar year end. Must be a knowledgeable reference on 1099 laws, requirements, and responsibilities of reporting on 1099 forms.
- Provides clerical advice and information to other department staff as required.
- May serve as a back-up to other financial services positions.
- Works with CDBG staff and HUD auditors.
- Assists with research for external audits for HUD, City, Federal and other agencies as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent with an associate’s degree in business, accounting, or data processing, to include at least six college credit hours in accounting; and two years of responsible related experience with at least one year of municipal accounting experience. Possession of a valid Oklahoma operator’s license or a valid driver’s license from state of residency at time of hire
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Outstanding computer skills, to include word processing, excel and mainframe programs.
- Working knowledge of proper office practices and procedures.
- Working knowledge of governmental accounting principles and practices.
- Ability to perform arithmetic computations accurately and quickly.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain successful working relationships.
- Ability to work under pressure and/or frequent interruptions.
Must be bondable.
Works in the office of Financial Services Division of the Finance Department.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
The physical demands described here are representative of those which must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to use the following equipment:
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to operate finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Sufficient manual dexterity to operate a typewriter, computer keyboard, and calculator is required.
ESSENTIAL ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of any office-based job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
This position requires the ability to maintain effective working relationships with all divisions as well as the public, executives and officials. Must be able to communicate with vendors and with other government agencies to obtain and provide information.
Some hostility is encountered.
Work is performed with a high degree of independence in accordance with procedures established by supervisor and in accordance with municipal accounting standards. General supervision of this position is exercised by the Accounting & Budgeting Supervisor.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Online Only via Email - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have the latest version of Adobe Reader Installed on your device to complete the application.
- Once you complete the application, make sure you SAVE the application to your computer before you email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you do not SAVE the application first it will be delivered as a blank form.
- We are only accepting digital applications at this time.