Multi-Media Specialist, Community Relations
PURPOSE/OVERVIEW OF POSITION:
Under the general supervision of the Director of Community Relations, the Multimedia Specialist assists the Community Relations department in all areas of media relations. The Multimedia Specialist will perform responsible and professional work as part of a team that plans and executes strategic marketing and communications for the City, both internal and external, while creating a consistent citizen experience that aligns with the City's overall goals, master plans, and Community Plan.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF POSITION:
The Multimedia Specialist must be able to perform the following tasks and functions which are fundamental to the purpose of the position. The Multimedia Specialist will
- Write news-formatted stories or scripts for video productions
- Set priorities and take initiative
- Work independently and in teams
- Be detail-oriented with strong proofreading skills
- Respond positively to changing priorities
- Work flexible hours as required
- Work on strict deadlines in a somewhat stressful environment
- Prepare and disseminate promotional materials, such as newsletters
- Obtain mastery-level knowledge about the inner-workings of city government and the structuring of policy
- Be subject to call back to work any time for emergency communications
- Handle sensitive and/or confidential information with discretion
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty meticulously. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department directors, supervisors, employees of departments, officials of other agencies, suppliers and vendors, and technical support personnel to achieve required system goals.
- Write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals; ability to write clear, detailed programs for effective utilization; ability to recognize, investigate and correct communication problems.
- Assist in the management of photography and videography programs including planning and coordinating with contract photographers and videographers, managing photo and video library, and distributing requested files;
- Assist with website management including content writing, layout/design and editing;
- Research, identify opportunities, collaborate with customers, other contractors, directors, producers and peers in creating cinematography and photographs that capture the overall vision of the production or propels a message visually, which captivates the web audience.
- Plan, write, edit, publish, monitor, and evaluate social media content including campaigns, events, and interactive posts; Utilize social media management and social listening tools to create social campaigns and increase engagement.
- Schedule, coordinate, attend, and evaluate community outreach activities; Evaluate projects and citizen engagement through data collection, research and analysis.
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of department directors, supervisors, and employees, external agency personnel and third-party vendors.
- Demonstrate daily a dedication to quality, customer service and citizen engagement.
- Speak effectively, multitask and make ethical, editorial decisions independently in relation to job functions.
- Perform other job-related tasks as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications with emphasis in public affairs, journalism/media productions, related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- General knowledge of state and federal laws regarding speech, copyright, trademark, and defamation;
- Thorough knowledge of publishing techniques, including the editorial, graphic design, style, and production aspects of publishing.
- Expertise in design utilizing packages such as Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop, In Design and After Effects.
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar and composition as well as the principles of creative writing, writing arguments, journalism, layout, and writing for the web.
- General knowledge of the principles, practices, methods and techniques of public relations and journalistic composition.
- Working knowledge of DSLR cameras, basic principles of photography and design.
- Experience using standard office equipment and tools that include personal computers, cameras, scanners, printers, audio visual equipment, smart telephones and Office 365.
- Thorough knowledge of social media platforms and best practice principles with experience using Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and similar social media platforms.
- Thorough knowledge of personal computers and related software; thorough knowledge of the internet and its use as a marketing/communications tool;
- Experience working in municipal government settings or the public sector.
- Two or more years working in a communication or media field.
- Proficient in AP Style writing.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Standard office environment. Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs. unassisted.
- The employee must have manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard or camera.
- Must be able to handle substantial stress related to job deadlines, the requirement to comply with internally and externally mandated regulations, and the possible results of incorrect activities.
ESSENTIAL ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AS WORKING CONDITIONS
- Work is in an office environment and is normally 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. days. However, communication needs arise constantly within the organization. As this position serves as a secondary to the Community Relations Director, certain situations or projects may call for weekend or late-night work.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but occasionally moderately loud.
The duties listed in this description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or genetic information. Persons selected for employment into any position must pass a drug test. Some positions may require passing an alcohol test. Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver’s license and driving record check will be conducted if driving is a job requirement. A post offer employment medical examination may be conducted prior to job placement.
How To Apply ?
Online Only via Email - Adobe PDF
Note: You need to have the latest version of Adobe Reader Installed on your device to complete the application.
- Once you complete the application, make sure you SAVE the application to your computer before you email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you do not SAVE the application first it will be delivered as a blank form.
- We are only accepting digital applications at this time.