Lab Technician I
- Rate: $16.20 USD per hour
Lewisville, ID 83431, USA
The primary responsibility of the Quality Assurance Technician I is to assist and support plant operations in activities involving base product and finished package quality analysis, data validation, tracking and trend analysis. A QA Tech I is expected to be able to accurately perform all tasks related to being on shift to support production and packaging microbiological or analytical laboratory analysis.
- Must follow and comply with all company safety protocols and procedures while working in a safe manner.
- Follows and encourage other to comply with all company Food Safety and Food Quality Programs, Policies and Practices.
- Proficient in laboratory procedures and systems, documentation procedures, equipment operations and calibrations.
- Responsible for product sampling and analysis according to approved procedures (analytical, organoleptic, and physical parameters) per the product specification.
- Monitors lab equipment and supplies. Report and document equipment operations, require maintenance, calibrations and/or repairs.
- Operational knowledge of product process flow to understand what causes out of grade product and how to correct for various defects.
- Immediately communicate with supervisor when product deviations occur in products to initiate immediate correction.
- Under the authority of the QA Manager, the Lab Tech can place product which may not meet safety or quality expectations on HOLD.
- Must be able to use infinity to analyze lab and other data and print graphs to present to others.
- Able to perform limited lab equipment troubleshooting.
- Responsible to comply and maintain accurate sample and record retention programs for the department.
- Keeps management advised on issues of concern.
- Assist and support with onboarding and training of new employees.
- Additional duties may be assigned, and functions may be modified, according to business necessity.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible to a changing work schedule and environment.
- Perform accurate and timely environmental equipment prestart and changeover inspections including swabbing.
- Required to make solutions, fill chemical bottles as needed and update and maintain standard curves for the chemicals made.
- Conduct product and packaging specification analysis according to the company procedures and customer specifications ensuring food safety and quality to satisfy customer requirements (Can include but is not limited to, net weight, package and case quality, lot coding, metal detection/X-ray monitoring or verification, etc.).
- Responsible for product analysis according to approved microbiological procedures per the product specification.
- Prepares and validates microbiological media, including pH and sterility checks, and the use of non-pathogenic positive and negative microbiological controls as necessary.
- Performs environmental testing according to approved microbiological procedures per the environmental monitoring program.
- Respect & Value Our People
- Stay in Front of Change While Reducing Costs
- Delight our Customers
- Food Quality & Safety
Qualifications/Required Skills of the Position:
Education and/or Experience: This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent. Previous lab experience preferred. Must obtain and maintain Microbiology laboratory, or Packaging and Production laboratory validations.
Language Skills: Ability to read, comprehend, and follow complex instructions, policies, procedures and correspondence. Exhibit effective speaking and written communication skills in dealing with co-workers and management.
Math Skills: This position requires quantitative skills and knowledge of math functions such as percentages and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: This position requires a high degree of self-confidence and maturity to make decisions required in day-to-day activities. Must be able to solve problems with minimal direction, be detailed oriented and have strong organizational skills. A team player who is flexible, and accepts changing assignments and accountabilities. Should display excellent interpersonal skills.
Computer Skills: Essential computer skills using Windows applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and E-mail.
Work Environment: This position requires the ability to perform various physical activities such as heavy lifting (up to 30 lbs.) standing on concrete floors for extended periods of time, moving parts and loud noise. Must be able to work with sanitizers and cleaning chemicals. Must be flexible to work various shifts as assigned by Supervisor.