The primary responsibility of the Packaging Machine Operator I position is to ensure the proper operation of the packaging equipment/machinery in a safe and efficient manner, keeping food quality and safety as a top priority. This position is responsible for all operations and efficiencies of the packaging line and maximizes operating performance, uptime, waste reduction, quality and productivity. This includes trouble shooting and doing predicative maintenance inspections, and minor repairs.
Communicates clearly with other line employees to ensure no errors occur, and the correct materials are utilized as outlined in the Bill of Materials (BOM) on the packaging line. Completes all transactions using the company Enterprise Resource (ERP) System.
Assures the proper pallet patterns as well as the codes of primary and secondary containers are correct. Completes all packaging forms accurately and timely. Must be able to function at a high level of performance in any of the general packaging positions including Dumper, Stacker, and/or Packer. Maintains good working communication with other team members and follows direction from the Packaging Lead/Supervisor.
This position requires the ability to safely and efficiently operate and validate on one of the three packaging processes. The three packaging processes include Vertical, Horizontal, and Carton packaging lines.
1. Responsible for the preventive maintenance of the machinery, which includes greasing, checking for worn parts, future hazards and break downs.
2. Has a clear understanding of operating packaging equipment/machinery.
3. Keeps all line equipment/machinery running and producing efficiently according to the Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) program.
4. Proficient in basic setup, maintenance as well as changeovers.
5. Communicates with other employees on the packaging line to meet expectations of line performance.
6. Must be able to maintain legible and accurate company records.
7. Maintains and verifies target fill weights and controls the addition of seasonings, sauces and other ingredients added at the time of packaging.
8. Must be knowledgeable of packaging product specifications.
9. Maintains proper communication flow on shift to shift exchange.
10. Must ensure that packaging workmanship meets Quality Assurance specifications. Visually inspects product pouches, cartons, codes and cases to ensure quality.
11. Ensures the proper codes are being printed on the package, carton, pallet, and/or case.
12. Understands proper pallet patterns and coding of pallets.
13. Maintains proper amount/use of materials for consumption based on FIFO, and according to the BOM using the ERP system.
14. Be able to use the Statistical Process Control (SPC) program and react to process variances and trends.
15. Must keep work area clean and organized.
16. Must work with other packaging employees and/or Packaging Lead regarding any operating issues with the system or products.
17. Assists in the orientation of new line employees and operators.
18. Must follow and comply with all company safety protocols and procedures while working in a safe manner.
19. Follow and enforce all company Food Safety and Food Quality programs, policies and practices.
20. Responsible for additional duties as assigned.
Alignment with Core Values of the Company
• Respect & Value Our People
• Stay in Front of Change While Reducing Costs
• Delight our Customers
• Food Quality & Safety
Qualifications/Required Skills of the Position:
Education and/or Experience:
Previous experience working with machinery/equipment and/or equivalent education and experience is preferred. Obtain and maintain forklift certification. Obtain and maintain Packaging Machine Operator 1 validation. Computer and troubleshooting skills with technical background, gained through education and/or experience.
Exhibits effective oral communication skills when communicating with supervisor and co-workers. Works well with others and communicates in a positive manner. Reads, comprehends, and performs all functions on each line as required. In addition, must have the ability to read and write to accurately complete paperwork and maintain records.
This position requires self-confidence and maturity to make decisions to solve problems with minimal direction. Must be a team player, flexible, and able to respond to change productively.
Demonstrates the ability to perform heavy lifting up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis. Must be able to stand on concrete floors for extended periods of time, and follows safety precautions. Must have excellent eye/hand coordination. Position requires repetitive motion – hand, arm and shoulder movement. Have the flexibility to work various shifts as assigned by Supervisor.
Team player, works well with other employees and shows respect in a professional manner, and can work independently without constant supervision.