Director, Legal Services - Tripwire REMOTE
Portland, Oregon, United States
Tripwire is a leading provider of security, compliance and IT operations solutions for enterprises, industrial organizations, service providers and government agencies. Tripwire solutions are based on high-fidelity asset visibility and deep endpoint intelligence combined with business context; together these solutions integrate and automate security and IT operations. Tripwire's portfolio of enterprise-class solutions includes configuration and policy management, file integrity monitoring, vulnerability management, log management, and reporting and analytics. Learn more at tripwire.com, get security news, trends and insights at tripwire.com/blog or follow us on Twitter@TripwireInc.
Tripwire is just one of the many brands that make up Belden's impressive portfolio. Belden is a multi-billion dollar global organization of 8,000 talented people that supports the mission-critical network infrastructure and audio visual broadcast needs of many of the world's best-known brands, placing us at the heart of the global transformation to a truly connected world. We are seeking driven, results-oriented team members to help us continue to grow and succeed.
Tripwire is seeking a Director of Legal Services to perform complex legal work in the areas of product licenses, non-standard customer and contractual documents, due diligence documentation and compliance. This role would advise Tripwire on legal issues material to the company's operations, supervise any needed outside counsel, independently handle a wide variety of legal, contractual and compliance issues, develop institutional policies and analyze regulatory issues affecting the company's global operations.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides legal counsel and guidance to senior management on legal matters relevant to the company. Supervises and coordinates work of outside counsel and consults with them on sensitive legal issues.
- Drafts, reviews and approves policies and procedures, regulatory compliance (including SOC, PCI, HIPAA, GDPR, Export, Environmental) and business operations of the company, including incident response and crisis management.
- Anticipates and identifies legal issues of concern to senior company officials, and develops legal strategies and solutions.
- Advises software developers on the use of open source and proprietary third party software.
- Plays an active role at the outset and throughout the development of new business arrangements and opportunities and strategic alliances.
- Works with outside patent counsel to expand strategic patent portfolio.
- Supervises drafting and review of all significant company agreements, including software licenses, intellectual property agreements, hosted service agreements, service and support agreements, revenue-related agreements, sales and distribution agreements and agreements for the procurement of goods and services, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Supervises drafting and review of various types of partner contracts, including letters of intent, consulting agreements, service agreements, license agreements and marketing agreements.
- Represents the company or oversees the representation of the company and its employees in complex litigation; negotiates, supervises, or provides advice regarding negotiation of settlements involving complex legal issues or transactions.
- Reviews and advises on documents prepared by internal clients, such as statements of work, service level agreements, pricing schedules and customer obligations.
- Identifies, analyzes and advises internal clients on various contractual provisions and issues.
- Works with internal clients to develop resolutions to business disputes; negotiates with customers to achieve satisfactory resolution of the disputes.
- Works with and trains internal clients to help them properly approach and structure transactions, various contractual provisions, issues, and preferred approaches.
- Reviews internal policies and provides proactive legal advice to internal groups through presentations.
- Provides project-based support to an affiliated company or at the direction of Belden's General Counsel.
- Drives in-house legal team toward execution on goals.
Required Skills, Education, Certifications
- Graduate of an accredited law school with an LLB or JD degree.
- A current member of a state bar.
- The qualified candidate will have at least five years of related experience with a significant experience base in the software industry including commercial and technology licensing transactions.
- Expertise in corporate governance, contracts, intellectual property and transactional work.
- Practical experience in contract law, business transactions, intellectual property and software licensing.
- Entrepreneurial and be willing to find a practical solution to every business and legal question.
- Able and willing to solve challenges.
- Able to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Possess excellent written communication skills, and be able to present ideas, opinions and recommendations clearly, articulately and with confidence to senior management.
- Thorough understanding of risk allocation in technology licensing, including SaaS offerings.
- Strong cross-group collaboration skills and the ability to manage multiple projects in parallel.
Other job functions:
This position operates in a team-oriented environment. As a result, the incumbent must build and maintain strong and effective working relationships internally with the senior management team, sales, marketing, and business development. The incumbent must also ensure that his/her team creates and maintains effective working relationships with all inside organizations.
At Tripwire our culture is one where you perform at your best, where you trust your teammates, and where work doesn't feel so much like work. We recognize and appreciate the contribution of all our employees. We value customer service, working with teams and thriving in an environment of continuous change. We play to win!
Tripwire provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, training, termination, promotions or any other condition of employment or career development.