Payroll Benefits Manager
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Management and Executive, Human Resources
The Payroll/Benefits Manager oversees all activities relating to the company payroll, benefits and HRIS processing including developing, implementing, and monitoring all payroll and benefits information, processes, and controls (including performing internal audit and control procedures to ensure that all wages and taxes are accurate). The individual will be the company’s subject matter expert with all payroll, benefits and HRIS administration.
The position requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree with 5 years of leadership experience in payroll and benefits management; Master’s degree preferred. This position requires demonstrated ability in program planning, administration, evaluation, communication and personnel management. Must be highly organized, with excellent organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and payroll software.
- Implements, maintains, and reviews payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions, including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Correctly processes payroll through the payroll system.
- Runs reports from the payroll system and the HRIS system on a weekly, monthly, and annual basis.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates, including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Facilitates audits by providing necessary records and documentation to auditors.
- Identifies and recommends updates to payroll processing software, systems, and procedures.
- Performs audits of retirement and other benefit plans in accordance with state, local and federal laws.
- Design, evaluate and modify benefits policies to ensure that programs are current, competitive and in compliance with legal requirements.
- Analyze compensation policies, government regulations, and prevailing wage rates to develop competitive compensation plan.
- Fulfill all reporting requirements of all relevant government rules and regulations, including the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
- Direct preparation and distribution of written and verbal information to inform employees of benefits, compensation, and personnel policies.
- Collects and compiles key HR metrics and data from a variety of sources, including Human Resource Information System (HRIS) and payroll outputs, benefits enrollment records, management and employee surveys, exit interviews, personnel records, government labor statistics, competitors’ practices, and other sources.
- Analyzes data and statistics for trends and patterns, with attention toward benefits enrollment, absenteeism, leave use, recruitment, motivation, turnover, and compliance with applicable employment laws and regulations.
- Prepares reports of data results, presenting and explaining findings to senior leadership.
- Identifies and recommends reasonable short and long-term goals, milestones, and benchmarks for key performance metrics.
- Based on metrics and analysis, makes recommendations for policies and activities to improve existing metrics, including changes to benefits, leave, and compensation offerings.
- Researches, or coordinates with appropriate benefits administration personnel to research, alternatives for health, wellness, and retirement plans and benefit providers.
- Facilitates implementation of new leave programs, benefits plans, and other related initiatives.
- Ensures compliance with applicable data privacy regulations and best practices.
- May guide and/or assist with performance, benefit, and compensation review and evaluation processes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.